type error formatting

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Sat Oct 24 09:08:32 UTC 2015

On 24 Oct 2015, at 09:17, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> For example in
>
>>    Relevant bindings include
>>       syllables :: [(a1, Syllable)]
>>         (bound at Derive/Call/India/Pakhawaj.hs:141:16)
>>       best_match :: [(a1, Syllable)]
>>                     -> Maybe (Int, ([(a1, Syllable)], [(a1, Sequence Bol)]))
>>         (bound at Derive/Call/India/Pakhawaj.hs:141:5)
>
> Also, unless the programmer is doing weird things with shadowing, is
> the "bound at" information really valuable? I’d say no: Usually, the
> programmer knows his bindings, and even if not, she will not have any
> problems finding the right binding.

As someone who spends a lot of time maintaining code that I did not write, I have to say that it is not enough that the "programmer knows his bindings".  She might, but I do not.  This kind of helpful signposting of exactly what file + linenumber + character position to look at, is really useful for someone who is not familiar with the code.

Regards,
    Malcolm