Handling multiple fds with GHC

David Turner dct25-561bs at mythic-beasts.com
Wed Oct 7 16:30:01 UTC 2015

Hi,

Why the non-threaded runtime, out of interest?

Threads forked with forkIO are pretty lightweight, and although things look
like blocking calls from the Haskell point of view, as I understand it
under the hood it's all done with events of one form or another. Thus even
with the non-threaded runtime you will see forkIO-threads behaving as if
they're running concurrently. In particular, you have two threads blocked
trying to read from two different Handles and each will be awoken just when
there's data to read, and the rest of the runtime will carry on even while
they're blocked. Try it!

If you're dealing with FDs that you've acquired from elsewhere, the
function unix:System.Posix.IO.ByteString.fdToHandle can be used to import
them and then they work like normal Handles in terms of blocking operations
etc.

Whenever I've had to deal with waking up for one of a number of reasons
(not all of which are FDs) I've found the simplicity of STM is hard to
beat. Something like:

atomically ((Left <$> waitForFirstThing) <|> (Right <$> waitForSecondThing))

where waitForFirstThing and waitForSecondThing are blocked waiting for
something interesting to occur in a TVar that they're watching. It's so
simple that I reckon it's worth doing it like that and only trying
something more complicated if it turns out from experimentation that this
has too much overhead for you - "make it right" precedes "make it fast".

Hope that helps,

David