[Haskell-cafe] RFC: "Native -XCPP" Proposal

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:33:35 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Kosyrev Serge <_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru>
wrote:

> Why *shouldn't* TH fill that role?  What can be done about it?

For one, it's difficult to make it available in cross compilers (granted,
work is being done on this) and not available on some platforms (ARM has
been a problem, dunno if it currently is). For another, I don't think you
can currently control things like imports or LANGUAGE pragmas --- and as TH
is currently constructed it's not clear that you could do so, or that you
could do so in a way that is sane for users.

This is not to say that I like cpp --- I'd like it a lot more if it weren't
actually using a C preprocessor that is not actually under our control or
guaranteed to be compatible with Haskell --- but it does provide a "meta"
in a different dimension than TH does.