cannot build 'vector' with profiling

Ranjit Jhala jhala at cs.ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 11 15:12:57 UTC 2015

Hi Carter,

OK, here's the full info (see log below), this is on an MBP,
running ghc 7.8.3 (From ghcformac).

In a new directory, I create a FRESH cabal sandbox, and then do:

   $ cabal install --enable-library-profiling --ghc-options="-O2 -rtsopts
-prof -auto-all -caf-all" vector

In doing so I get errors about unable to build 'primitive' because

    Failed to load interface for ‘GHC.Integer.Type’
    Perhaps you haven't installed the "p_dyn" libraries for package
‘integer-gmp’?
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

Googling the above takes me to

But unfortunately I can't from the above tell exactly how to proceed.

1. Can you tell me how to get a profiling version of vector built in
   a new sandbox? i.e. what options are you using?

2. Is there any other information you need? I'm assuming since its in
   a sandbox I needn't nuke my global cabal directory but happy to if
   needed.

Thanks! (log below)

-- Ranjit.

rjhala at borscht ~/r/l/tmp> mkdir vector-build
rjhala at borscht ~/r/l/tmp> cd vector-build/
rjhala at borscht ~/r/l/t/vector-build> cabal sandbox init
Writing a default package environment file to
/Users/rjhala/research/liquid/tmp/vector-build/cabal.sandbox.config
Creating a new sandbox at
/Users/rjhala/research/liquid/tmp/vector-build/.cabal-sandbox
rjhala at borscht ~/r/l/t/vector-build> cabal install
--enable-library-profiling --ghc-options="-O2 -rtsopts -prof -auto-all
-caf-all" vector
Resolving dependencies...
Notice: installing into a sandbox located at
/Users/rjhala/research/liquid/tmp/vector-build/.cabal-sandbox
Configuring primitive-0.6...
Building primitive-0.6...
Failed to install primitive-0.6
Last 10 lines of the build log (
/Users/rjhala/research/liquid/tmp/vector-build/.cabal-sandbox/logs/primitive-0.6.log
):
Configuring primitive-0.6...
Building primitive-0.6...
Preprocessing library primitive-0.6...
[ 1 of 10] Compiling Data.Primitive.Internal.Compat (
Data/Primitive/Internal/Compat.hs,
dist/dist-sandbox-34ea82/build/Data/Primitive/Internal/Compat.o )

Top level:
    Failed to load interface for ‘GHC.Integer.Type’
    Perhaps you haven't installed the "p_dyn" libraries for package
‘integer-gmp’?
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
primitive-0.6 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
vector-0.10.12.3 depends on primitive-0.6 which failed to install.
rjhala at borscht ~/r/l/t/vector-build [1]> which ghc
/Applications/ghc-7.8.3.app/Contents/bin/ghc