ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.10.2

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Jul 30 12:07:07 UTC 2015

Hello again!

See below for an important announcement regarding the `text` issue
described earlier.

Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> writes:

>     The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 7.10.2
>
> The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new bug-fix release of GHC,
> 7.10.2.
>
> There have been a number of significant bug fixes since the 7.10.1 (with
> over 70 defects fixed). These include fixes affecting type-checker
> correctness, runtime stability, and compiler performance. For this
> reason we highly recommend that users of 7.10.1 upgrade quickly.
>
> Note that due to changes made in this release to GHC's optimizer,
> previously fragile-but-working rewrite rules may fail to fire. One
> example of this was found in the widely-used `text` package late in the
> release cycle, which manifested in long compilation times and poor code
> generation for `Text` literals (see [Trac #10528]). Users are advised to
> use text >=1.2.1.2 which includes more robust rewrite rules.

It has been brought to my attention that the fix included in
text-1.2.1.2 does not in fact fix the rule issues triggered by GHC
7.10.2 (see the later comments on #10528 for details). I have pushed
text-1.2.1.3 to Hackage which finally resolves this issue.

Users of GHC 7.10.2 should upgrade to text >=1.2.1.3 at their earliest
convenience.

Cheers,

- Ben