How to remove a cabal package from the local system?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Jan 22 09:01:04 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-22 at 09:04:30 +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
>> > I have installed/registered a new version of a package with cabal by
>> > accident. How can I remove it again?
>>
>> Not sure if this is what you want, but the `cab` tool has an `uninstall`
>> sub-command to unregister and remove installed packages.
>>
>>  [1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cab
>
> Yes, this is what I want. But Evan's script works fine. I think I will stick to
> it.

There's one thing though that Evan's script doesn't handle afaics:
recursive de-installation of packages that depend upon the package
version you're uninstalling...

Hopefully at some point `cabal` will provide a `uninstall` command out
of the box, you can subscribe to the respective GitHub issue if you want
to follow that discussion:

  https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/227

Cheers,
  hvr