"Found hole"

htebalaka goodingm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:47:09 UTC 2015

They are described at these two links:
https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/Typed_holes
https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.8.1-rc1/docs/html/users_guide/typed-holes.html

Essentially, identifiers that are not otherwise in scope and consist of an
underscore or that have a trailing underscore are treated as holes, for
which you wish to know which type was inferred. Previously you would need to
do something like add a wrong type signature, so that the compiler would
complain that the type you gave doesn't match what it inferred.

Though I get a different error message:

Found hole ‘_exit’ with type: a0 -> t
    Where: ‘a0’ is an ambiguous type variable
           ‘t’ is a rigid type variable bound by

There really should be a Num constraint as well, but at least in 7.8 it
doesn't seem to include those.

Volker Wysk-5 wrote