Avoid blank line separating code and comments in Bird style?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 14 15:55:41 UTC 2015

I think the underlying problem here is that there is a difference between "literate" comments and "normal" comments.

In a bird-style literate Haskell file, this is what I'll call a literate comment:

~~~
A line with no marker at the beginning
~~~

A normal comment is in a line of Haskell code, put with a comment indicator:

~~~
> -- This is a "normal" comment
~~~

When GHC sees a bird-style literate Haskell file, it first strips out all lines that don't begin with >. Then, it starts doing its real work, including parsing Haddock comments. So, to use a Haddock comment in a literate Haskell file, you'd need to use the "normal" comment style:

~~~
> -- | Make a numbered widget
> mkWidget :: Int -> Widget
~~~

There is no way to use Haddock markup in a "literate" comment.

But, as Mateusz points out, there may be blank lines between the Haddock comment and the thing being described:

~~~
> -- | Get the number of a widget
>
> widgetNum :: Widget -> Int
~~~