Thread behavior in 7.8.3

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:02:54 UTC 2015

Michael Jones <mike at proclivis.com> writes:

> Sorry I am reviving an old problem, but it has resurfaced, such that
> one system behaves different than another.

[snip]

> 1) Does ghc 7.8.4 have any improvements that might pertain to these kinds of scheduling/thread problems?
> 2) Is there anything about the nature of a thread using USB, I2C, or wxHaskell IO that leads to problems that a pure calculation app would not have?

Do you know about [1]? This is a regression due to an interface change
that arose from the new event manager. `usb` 1.3.0.0` has a workaround,
GHC 7.10 will have a fixed event manager [2].

Given that it sounds like your program works some of the time this may
not be relevant but I thought it would be negligent not to mention it.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/basvandijk/usb/issues/7
[2] https://phabricator.haskell.org/D347