stream fusion, concatMap, exisential seed unboxing

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 2 17:08:45 UTC 2015

Ah, well, if it's really the concat/concatMap problem then I'm really not sure how to crack it.

But there are lots of smart people on this list, so maybe someone else can.

The fewer dependencies your test case has the better.  eg Don't use criterion; this stuff is huge: you get 10G of allocation in your test run instead of 10M.   Or something.

Simon

|  > |
|  > |  I'm playing around with concatMap in stream fusion (the vector
|  > | package  to be exact).
|  > |
|  > |  concatMapM :: Monad m => (a->m (Stream m b)) -> Stream m a ->
|  > | Stream m  b concatMapM f (Stream ...) = ...
|  > |
|  > |  I can get my concatMap to behave nicely and erase all Stream and
|  > | Step  constructors but due to the existential nature of the Stream
|  > | seeds,  they are re-boxed for the inner stream (which is kind-of
|  > | annoying  given that the seed is immediately unboxed again ;-).
|  seq
|  > | doesn't help  here.
|  > |
|  > |  Otherwise, fusion happens for streams and vectors, so that is ok.
|  > | But  boxing kills performance, criterion says.
|  > |
|  > |  Do we have s.th. in place that could help here? Currently I could
|  > | use  the vector-concatMap which creates intermediate arrays, my
|  > | version  which has boxed seeds, or hermit but that is too
|  > | inconvenient for non-  ghc savy users.
|  > |
|  > |  Viele Gruesse,
|  > |  Christian
|  > |
|  > |
|  > |
|  > |  Fusing concatMapM:
|  > |
|  > |  concatMapM f (SM.Stream ostep t _) = SM.Stream step (Left t)
|  Unknown
|  > |    where step (Left t) = do r <- ostep t
|  > |                             case r of
|  > |                              SM.Done       -> return $ SM.Done
|  > |                              SM.Skip    t' -> return $ SM.Skip
|  (Left
|  > |  t')
|  > |                              SM.Yield a t' -> do s <- f a
|  > |                                                  return $ SM.Skip
|  > | (Right (s,t'))
|  > |          step (Right (SM.Stream istep s _,t)) = do r <- istep s
|  > |                                                    case r of
|  > |                                                      SM.Done
|  ->
|  > |  return $ SM.Skip    (Left t)
|  > |                                                      SM.Skip    s'
|  ->
|  > |  return $ SM.Skip    (Right (SM.Stream istep s' Unknown,t))
|  > |                                                      SM.Yield x s'
|  > | ->  return $ SM.Yield x (Right (SM.Stream istep s' Unknown,t))
|  > |          {-# INLINE [0] step #-}
|  > |  {-# INLINE [1] concatMapM #-}
|  > |
|  > |  testConcatMapM :: Int -> Int
|  > |  testConcatMapM k = seq k $ U.unId
|  > |                   . SM.foldl' (+) 0
|  > |                   . concatMap (\i -> SM.enumFromTo 5 k)
|  > |                   $ SM.enumFromTo 3 k  {-# NOINLINE testConcatMapM
|  > | #-}
|  > |
|  > |  CORE:
|  > |
|  > |  testConcatMapM
|  > |  testConcatMapM =
|  > |    \ k_aCA ->
|  > |      let! { I# ipv_s1xv ~ _ <- k_aCA } in ### inner loop
|  > |      letrec {
|  > |        $s$wfoldlM'_loop_s29q
|  > |        $s$wfoldlM'_loop_s29q =
|  > |          \ sc_s29i sc1_s29j sc2_s29k ->  ### unboxing
|  > |            let! { I# x_a1LA ~ _ <- sc1_s29j } in
|  > |            case tagToEnum# (<=# x_a1LA ipv_s1xv) of _ {
|  > |              False -> $s$wfoldlM'_loop1_s29c sc_s29i sc2_s29k;
|  > |              True ->
|  > |                $s$wfoldlM'_loop_s29q  ### reboxing
|  > |                  (+# sc_s29i x_a1LA) (I# (+# x_a1LA 1)) sc2_s29k
|  > |            };
|  > |  ### outer loop
|  > |        $s$wfoldlM'_loop1_s29c
|  > |        $s$wfoldlM'_loop1_s29c =
|  > |          \ sc_s29a sc1_s29b ->
|  > |            case tagToEnum# (<=# sc1_s29b ipv_s1xv) of _ {
|  > |              False -> sc_s29a;
|  > |              True ->
|  > |                case tagToEnum# (<=# 5 ipv_s1xv) of _ {
|  > |                  False -> $s$wfoldlM'_loop1_s29c sc_s29a (+#
|  > | sc1_s29b  1); ### boxed seed (I# 6)
|  > |                  True -> $s$wfoldlM'_loop_s29q (+# sc_s29a 5) (I#
|  6)
|  > | (+# sc1_s29b 1)
|  > |      let! { __DEFAULT ~ ww_s20G <- $s$wfoldlM'_loop1_s29c 0 3 } in
|  > |      I# ww_s20G
|  > |