[ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Dec 9 12:17:24 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

We are pleased to announce the release of GHC 7.10.3:

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/

There can be found source tarballs and binary distributions for 64-bit and 32-bit
modern Linux (GMP 5.0 or later), CentOS (GMP 4.0), Windows, and 64-bit
Mac OS X platforms. These binaries and tarballs have an accompanying
SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id (0x97DB64AD). Significant
fixes in release include changes to the simplifier's treatment of
rules, the handling of Mac OS X frameworks, and support for response
files to work around the restrictive command line length limit on
Windows. As always, a full accounting of the changes present in this
release can be found in the release notes [1].

The previous release, 7.10.2, was well-behaved save a couple notable
bugs; while we have merged a good number of bug fixes in 7.10.3 they
were were largely low risk and so we expect that this release should be
similiarly stable.

A notable exception is the upgrade of the Windows compiler toolchain to
GCC 5.2. Typically we would refrain from making such large changes in a
point release but Windows users have been long suffering at the hand of
the old toolchain (e.g. lack of response file support, #8596, and lack
of SEH support). We expect that this change should fix far more than
breaks.

Unfortunately, due to some oversights in the release process there are
two source tarballs for this release. The first,
ghc-7.10.3-src.tar.{bz2,xz}, does not include the release notes in the
users guide. This is fixed in the second patchlevel release,
ghc-7.10.3a-src.tar.{bz2,xz}. It is recommended that users wanting a
source release use the ghc-7.10.3a-src tarballs.

GHC 7.10.3 will very likely be the last release in the GHC 7 series. In
the coming weeks we will be beginning the release process for GHC 8.0,
which will include a number of exciting features including the merger of
kinds with types, injective type families, imporved DWARF debugging
information, applicative-do syntax, a Strict language extension synonyms
mechanism, and more. See the GHC 8.0.1 status page for details [2].

Happy compiling!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/docs/html/users_guide//release-7-10-3.html