[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell-beginners] DOOM rewritten in the Haskell programming language.

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Mon Dec 7 10:49:48 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 5:19 PM Henk-Jan van Tuyl <hjgtuyl at chello.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 16:21:15 +0100, David Blubaugh
> <davidblubaugh2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > TO ALL,
> > Hello My name is David Allen Blubaugh.  I am currently considering
> > starting a kick-starter project in redeveloping the DOOM source code
> > with the Haskell Programming language using the power of
> > functional-oriented programming......
> > I know that John Carmack was interested in the Haskell programming
> > language and had even recreated wolfenstein 3D using the Haskell
> > programming language. Does anybody have a copy of John Carmack's
> > recreation of wolfenstein 3D using haskell ??? Also would anybody enjoy
> > working with this project ???  What benefits would DOOM have enjoyed had
> > ID software created the DOOM source code in 1993 with Haskell or some
> > other functional-oriented programming language  instead of C/assembly
> > programming languages ???  Thanks,
> > David Allen BlubaughElectrical EngineerATR Associate
>
> I don't know about his source code, but the Games page[0] lists:
>   - hadoom
>       A clone of Doom, using reactive-banana, GTK, and the "diagrams"
> library.
>       https://github.com/ocharles/hadoom

Possibly worth noting that hadoom is not a source-port of Doom - it's
inspired by Doom's approach to level editing (2.5D), but beyond that there
isn't much cross over. For example, I use full triangulation for rendering
via OpenGL, rather than building my own rendering engine. The level format
is also different from WAD.

Ollie