Segfault when doing hs_init()/hs_exit() multiple times

Karl Cronburg karl.cronburg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 19:41:11 UTC 2015

I was having the same problem a while back. If you turn on debugging
symbols and give it to gdb, you
get that the seg fault is happening when the RTS attempts to allocate after
the second initialization:

    0xf7f6f4f9 in allocate (cap=cap at entry=0xf7f92b40 <MainCapability>,
n=n at entry=2) at rts/sm/Storage.c:812
    812 rts/sm/Storage.c: No such file or directory.
    (gdb) bt
    #0  0xf7f6f4f9 in allocate (cap=cap at entry=0xf7f92b40 <MainCapability>,
n=n at entry=2) at rts/sm/Storage.c:812
    #1  0xf7f5c603 in rts_mkInt32 (cap=0xf7f92b40 <MainCapability>,
i=-11921) at rts/RtsAPI.c:69
    #2  0xf7cdea7a in pointer_test () from ../../ia32/build/
libHSpads-haskell-1.1-6fKCdLtCMO82em71etbiu1-ghc7.10.2.so
    #3  0x5655579c in main (argc=1, argv=0xffffd244) at Pointer.c:11

So my solution was to just leave the RTS initialized. What's the downside
of leaving it initialized throughout
the entire execution of your program? If the RTS / GC is smart enough it
should know not to waste time
doing a GC when no Haskell code has been run?

I too would be interested though in being able to clean up the RTS from C
when I know no Haskell code will
be run again anytime soon.

-Karl Cronburg-