Preliminary proposal: Monoidal categories in base and proc notation support

John Wiegley johnw at newartisans.com
Mon Sep 15 12:47:01 UTC 2014

> I am working on a proposal for some additions to the base library and some
> modifications to GHC in the same style as the do notation support for
> Applicatives. It is still very much a work in progress, but any input/
> constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated; this is the first one of
> these I've written.

Hi Sophie,

The work you've proposed has an almost direct overlap with Edward Kmett's
recent work in his "hask" library, so I'd prefer to see the dust settle out
there to determine what the nicest interface could be.  In particular Ed has
discovered some nice expressions involving curried bifunctors that would be a
shame to miss out on.

As Simon said, this really should go to the libraries mailing list, where
Edward is sure to weigh in.

John