Thread behavior in 7.8.3

Michael Jones mike at proclivis.com
Thu Oct 30 15:50:20 UTC 2014

My hope is that if my threads are doing IO, the scheduler acts when there is an IO action with delay, or when STM blocks, etc.

So at the end of my pipe out, I have:

sendTransactions :: MonadIO m => SMBusDevice DeviceDC590 -> TVar Bool -> ProcessT m (Spec, String) ()
sendTransactions dev dts = repeatedly $ do
  dts' <- liftIO $ atomically $ readTVar dts
  when (dts' == True) (do
      (_, transactions) <- await
      liftIO $ sendOut dev transactions)

And my pipe in:

returnTransactionResults :: MonadIO m => SMBusDevice DeviceDC590 -> TVar Bool -> SourceT m (Spec, Char)
returnTransactionResults dev dts = repeatedly $ do
  (status, spec) <- liftIO $ readIn2 dev
  oldDts <- liftIO $ atomically $ readTVar dts
  let dts' = (ord $ status!!1) .&. 0x20
  let newDts = dts' /= 0
  when (oldDts /= newDts) (
    liftIO $ atomically $ writeTVar dts newDts)
  when (length spec /= 0) (mapM_ (\ch -> yield (executeSpec, ch)) spec)

sendOut will do a usb bulk write, and readIn2 will do a use bulk read. Hopefully, somewhere in the usb code IO blocks for an interrupt (probably in libusb), and that allows the scheduler to switch threads. Given the behavior, I assume this is not the case, and it requires time slicing to switch threads.

I also send data between the in/out pipes via TChan. Remembering that each pipe is in a thread, hopefully if a readTChan blocks, the scheduler reschedules and the other thread runs.

For context, I do a lot of RTOS work, so my worldview of the expected behavior comes from that perspective.

Mike