Recursion on TypeNats

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 27 14:09:48 UTC 2014

No, there's not another way to do this with built-in Nats, and there probably won't ever be.

There are two advantages to the built-in Nats over hand-rolled ones: 1) Better syntax / error messages. 2) Built-in Nats are much more efficient than hand-rolled ones, because the hand-rolled ones are unary and take up space linear in the value of the number. If you re-hash your proposal for a Successor constructor down to the term level, it looks juts like (n+k)-patterns, which were discarded as a bad idea.

The reason that the type-level numbers are natural numbers and not integers is because natural numbers have a simpler theory to solve for. I'm personally hoping for proper type-level integers at some point, and the type-checker plugins approach may make that a reality sooner than later.

I hope this helps!

Richard