Hiding import behaviour

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Sat Oct 18 18:42:17 UTC 2014

And also, the ultimate confusing case: if two modules exported
identifiers with the same name *and* type. At least under the current
scheme, you'd be required to clearly disambiguate them in all cases.
Under the proposed scheme, there's no telling what behavior your
program might have, based solely on the shadowing rules/ordering of
the imports of your module and nothing else.

I don't think this would be a common occurrence. But it seems deeply
upsetting that in such a case, rather than the compiler complaining
loudly about ambiguity in a very obvious case (a compiler which
catches many *other* very obvious static code errors), it would
instead silently accept accept your program under a very implicit
"DWIM-ish" import rule.