Hiding import behaviour

htebalaka goodingm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 23:10:38 UTC 2014

Well I suppose tooling might need to be aware of the feature depending on
what it does, but I don't see why the code actually typechecking would need
to be dependent on ordering. When I say shadowing I don't mean explicitly
having any explicit import create a new scope, since in that case it would
be sensitive to re-ordering, which I agree would be bad. My thought would be
first you would need to parse all the imports to see which identifiers they
import, then do another pass to change the imports to hide any identifiers
that should be shadowed.

So in the example I gave you would need to be aware that Foo exports x,
because otherwise there would be no way to know that x needs to be hidden
from Bar. I assume GHC already would have access to that information though.