The future of the haskell2010/haskell98 packages - AKA Trac #9590

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Wed Oct 1 16:02:41 UTC 2014

Hi Ryan,

Yes, that or one of the various superclass instance proposals would
probably solve this without too much grief, since we could simply
export Applicative, then automatically get an instance for it
afterwords at no cost.

This was very very briefly discussed yesterday, but I left it out of
the 'Possibilities' list here because it is simply contingent on too
much work, and too much discussion, in too short a span of time. There
have probably been a dozen proposals for this kind of functionality,
and I don't think any of them ever even got to the implementation
stage.

Unless someone has a hidden, ready-to-go patch with these features and
it'll be committed very very soon (which I unfortunately doubt), I
just don't think it's realistic to consider these approaches as
solutions right now.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Ryan Trinkle <ryan.trinkle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would something like John Meacham's class alias proposal
> (http://repetae.net/recent/out/classalias.html) help alleviate this problem?
>
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace at me.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> How about doing the honest thing, and withdrawing both packages in
>>> ghc-7.10?  Haskell'98 is now 15 years old, and the 2010 standard was never
>>> really popular anyway.
>>

>> There are apparently educators using both, although they're not used much
>> if at all in production.
>>
>> --
>> brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine
>> associates
>> allbery.b at gmail.com
>> ballbery at sinenomine.net
>> unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad
>> http://sinenomine.net

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant