Future of DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat May 24 18:48:20 UTC 2014

On 19/05/2014 13:51, harry wrote:
> harry wrote
>> I need to build GHC 7.8 so that Template Haskell will work without shared
>> libraries (due to a shortage of space).
>>
>> I understand that this can be done by turning off DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS and
>> associated build options. Is this possibility going to be kept going
>> forward, or will it be deprecated once dynamic GHC is fully supported on
>> all platforms?
>
> PS This is for Linux x64.

We may yet go back and turn DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS off by default, it has
yet to be decided.  The worst situation would be to have to support
both, so I imagine once we've decided one way or the other we'll
deprecated the other method.

Is it just shortage of space, or is there anything else that pushes you
towards DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=NO?  Isn't disk space cheap?