question about GADT's and error messages

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed May 14 18:32:28 UTC 2014

My understanding of OutsideIn leads me to believe that GHC 7.8 has the behavior closer to that spec. See Section 5.2 of that paper (http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/Papers/constraints/jfp-outsidein.pdf), which is a relatively accessible explanation of this phenomenon. Daniel's explanation is essentially a condensed version of that section.

I'm not surprised that the behavior changed between GHC 6.x and 7.x, as I believe 7.x is what brought in OutsideIn. I don't know much about the change between 7.6 and 7.8, though. And, I agree that the "untouchable" error messages are generally inscrutable. When I see that message in my own code, my takeaway is generally "I have a mistake somewhere near that line", nothing more specific or useful. I've accordingly posted a bug report #9109 (https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/9109). Please comment there if you have either useful examples or other contributions to the fix -- it may be hard to get this one right.

Richard