RFC: include a cabal-install executable in future GHC releases
ashley at semantic.org
Sat May 3 23:58:02 UTC 2014
So I want to install GHC + cabal on a new system, building cabal
packages with profiling and documentation. Here's what I have to do:
1. Download, unpack and install GHC.
2. Download and unpack cabal-install, and run bootstrap.sh. As part of
the bootstrap, it will download and build a bunch of packages.
3. Delete the downloaded packages ("rm -rf ~/.ghc/*") because they were
built without profiling or documentation.
4. Call "cabal update" to get a default .cabal/config file.
5. Edit .cabal/config to switch on library-profiling,
executable-profiling, and documentation.
6. Build my stuff.
This would be much simplified if binary versions of cabal-install were
available. (It would be even simpler if they were just included in the
GHC builds -- I could eliminate 2 & 3.)
-- Ashley Yakeley
More information about the Glasgow-haskell-users