GHC-7.8 warning on rules that may not fire

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Mar 14 17:26:56 UTC 2014

Am 14.03.2014 18:05, schrieb Simon Peyton Jones:

> You may think they are fragile, but not as fragile as saying nothing and hoping for the best, which is *super*-fragile. You can't rely on rules to take priority, because the rule only fires if it matches, and it may only match if some other inlining has taken place.  (We tried that originally.)

Ok, how shall I choose "n" in "INLINE[n]"? Is there a meaning of the
phase numbers? I guess it is important to adhere to some conventions in
order to work together with other libraries.

If I understand correctly I can alter the number of phases with the
-fsimplifier-phases option - how can I choose phase numbers for INLINE
that are universally reasonable?