Command line options for forcing 98 and 2010 mode

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Jun 3 23:44:38 UTC 2014

Something that would be useful is command line options that will make
ghc conform to the standards in one shot. I have various programs that
conform to the standards and the onlyrce of incompatibility is the
changing options needed to get ghc to compile them. This is analogous
to how hugs has the -98 flag and the C standard specifies that 'c99'
is an alias to your C compiler that enforces full ISO c99
compatibility.

I was thinking providing ghc98 and ghc2010 command aliases, or making
an option '--std=haskell98'.

another option would be to have -XHaskell98 also modify the package
imports in addition to language features, but this may be undesireable
as then it would behave differently when specified in a LANGUAGE
pragma.

     John

--
John Meacham - http://notanumber.net/