Why no `instance (Monoid a, Applicative f)=> Monoid (f a)` for IO?

Brandon Simmons brandon.m.simmons at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:31:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are monads for which you want another Monoid, e.g. Maybe provides a
> different unit, because it pretends to lift a Semigroup into a Monoid.
>
> There are also monoids that take a parameter of kind * that would overlap
> with this instance.
>
> So we can't (and shouldn't) have the global Monoid instance like you give
> there first.

Right, sorry. I just meant that as a bit of context. My proposal is adding
`instance Monoid a => Monoid (IO a)`.

> As for the particular case of IO a, lifting may be a reasonable option
> there.
>
> A case could be made for adding an `instance Monoid a => Monoid (IO a)`, but
> for such a ubiquitously used type, expect that this wouldn't be an easy
> sell.
>
> You'd possibly have to deal with everyone and their brother coming out of
> the woodwork offering up every other Monoid they happened to use on IO.
>
> Why?
>
> IO provides a notion of failing action you could use for zero and you can
> build an (<|>) like construction on it as well, so the 'multiplicative'
> structure isn't the _only_ option for your monoid.

Can you give an example of what you mean here? Would that be something
involving exceptions?

> Even within the multiplicative structure using the monoid isn't necessarily
> ideal as you might leak more memory with an IO a monoid that lifts () than
> you would with working specifically on IO ().
>
> You can argue the case that the choice you made is a sensible default
> instance by instance, but when there isn't a real canonical choice we do
> tend to err on the side of leaving things open as orphans are at least
> possible, but once the choice is made it is very very hard to unmake.

Right like Sum/Product for Num types. But here there's good reason, I
think, to choose one instance over others, because we already have the
monoid structure of Applicative and Monad. You can still have a
wrapper newtype with different instances for the alternatives, as was
done with Applicative for [] and ZipList.

But I might be misunderstanding, since I'm not really sure what the
alternative instances you mention would look like.

Thanks,
Brandon