Avoiding BlockedIndefinitelyOnSTM exceptions

Gabriel Gonzalez gabriel439 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 15:16:16 UTC 2014

I don't quite understand your question, but I'll try to give a fuller
explanation of the problem I was trying to solve to see if it perhaps
answers your question.

The motivation behind `pipes-concurrency` was to make it easy for
readers and writers to coordinate implicitly (using the garbage
collector) instead of explicitly.  Here's an example of code that people
would use `pipes-concurrency` to write:

     main = do
         (output, input) <- spawn Single
         a1 <- async $ runEffect $ someProducer >-> toOutput output
         a2 <- async $ runEffect $ fromInput input >-> someConsumer
         mapM_ wait [a1, a2]

For people unfamiliar with `pipes` or `pipes-concurrency`, what the
above code does is it `spawn`s a `TMVar` that you can read or write.
Then it forks two threads, one of which feeds some values to the `TMVar`
and the other of which reads some values from the `TMVar`.

What was neat about the way `pipes-concurrency` works is that:

* If `someProducer` produces fewer values than `someConsumer` requests
from `TMVar`, then `someConsumer` would detect that and gracefully
terminate instead of trying to read a value from the
now-permanently-empty `TMVar`.
* If `someConsumer` consumes fewer values than `someProducer` feeds to
the `TMVar` then `someProducer` would detect that and gracefully
terminate instead of trying to write a new value to the
now-permanently-full `TMVar`.

Note that throwing an exception to either of these threads is not a
suitable substitute for graceful termination in more sophisticated
examples.  The rationale behind graceful termination is to allow running
more logic in these threads after they are done reading or writing from
the STM variable.

My feeling is that the garbage collector already knows that these reads
or writes are doomed, so why not make use of that knowledge to
gracefully recover from doomed transactions?