Static values language extension proposal

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 17:59:05 UTC 2014

Hey Facundo,

thanks for sharing this proposal.

several questions:

0) I think you could actually implement this proposal as a userland
library, at least as you've described it. Have you tried doing so?

1) what does this accomplish that can not be accomplished by having various
nodes agree on a DSL, and sending ASTs to each other?
     1a) in fact, I'd argue (and some others agree, and i'll admit my
opinions have been shaped by those more expert than me) that the sending a
wee AST you can interpret on the other side is much SAFER than "sending a
function symbol thats hard coded hopefully into both programs in a way that
it means the same thing".  I've had many educational conversations with

2) how does it provide more type safety than the current TH based approach?
(I've seen Tim and others hit very very gnarly bugs in cloud haskell based
upon the "magic static values" approach).

3) this proposal requires changes to linking etc that would really make it
useful only on systems and deployments that only have Template Haskell AND
Dynamic linking.  (and also rules out any context where it'd be nice to
deploy a static app or say, use CH in ios! )

to repeat: have you considered defining an AST type + interpreter for the
computations you want to send around, and doing that? I think its a much
simpler, safer, easier, flexible and PORTABLE approach, though one current
CH doesn't do (though the folks working on CH seem to be receptive to
switching to such a strategy if someone validates it)

cheers
-Carter