RFC: include a cabal-install executable in future GHC releases

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 16:18:08 UTC 2014

ANYWAYS :)

the point is: there is a nonzero population of haskell folks who want to
use ghc + cabal-install on a machine where they may not have admin /
package manager powers, AND it requires some amount of cabal-install
familiarity (or asking around) to find out about the ./boot-strap script
that cabal comes with.  (I've definitely had 1-2 incidents where on a new
server i did the bootstrap process by hand before i found out about that
script)

at the very very least, the directions for boostrap cabal-install should be
more discoverable