RFC: include a cabal-install executable in future GHC releases

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 19:32:19 UTC 2014

We could offer OS X and Linux binaries in addition to the Windows binaries
already downloaded on the cabal home page (http://www.haskell.org/cabal/)
if someone could commit to building them.

Aside: Right now building the Windows binaries is a very ad-hoc process (I
email Mikhail who has a Windows machine and ask him to build one). I'm not
very keen to make the process even slower, given that that will mean I will
make fewer cabal releases. Ideally the binaries could be produced on a
build bot. The very least we should have the Makefile in the cabal repo
being able to create the binary in a reproducible manner.

-- Johan