Enabling TypeHoles by default

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Tue Jan 14 16:27:35 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 2014-01-14 at 17:14:51 +0100, David Luposchainsky wrote:
> On 14.01.2014 17:07, Austin Seipp wrote:
>> We probably won't change the name right now however. It's already
>> been put into Cabal (as a recognized extension,) so the name has
>> propagated a slight bit. We can however give it a new name and
>> deprecate the old -XTypeHoles in the future. Or, we could change
>> it, but I'm afraid it's probably a bit too late in the cycle for
>> other devs to change.
>
> Removing a name later on is more time-consuming, with or without
> deprecation. People get used to the "wrong" name and stop caring, but
> I can already picture the "type holes are really typed holes"
> discussions on IRC. I'm strongly in favour of introducing the new name
> (and the deprecation for the synonym) as early as possible. This
> change should not be very extensive anyway, so why not slip it in?

Well, as Austin hinted at, this would also require a Cabal-1.18.x
release in time for the final 7.8, and a recompile of Hackage to pick it
up so that people can start using the new 'TypedHoles' token in their
.cabal files... so there's a bit of coordination required to make this
happen in a timely manner... Or put differently, somebody has to care
enough to invest some time and pull this through :-)

Cheers,
  hvr