[Solaris bindist] Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.8.1 Release Candidate 1

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Thu Feb 6 11:18:03 UTC 2014

Hi Christian,

honestly speaking I've not touched ghc-pwd-bindist script at all.
Everything I did was Austin's recommended: get the source in appropriate
way, make, make binary-dist. It produced tarball and I've uploaded it.

Generally speaking if you are not satisfied with support for Solaris 10,
please change it as you like and submit your patch to
ghc-devs at haskell.org, people there are very friendly to merge if they
see patch is all right...

Thanks!
Karel

On 02/ 6/14 10:33 AM, Christian Maeder wrote:
> Hi Karel,
>
> Ok, yet I suppose that the #!/bin/sh script in ghc-pwd-bindist will
> still fail for me on Solaris 10, even if I build ghc from sources.
>
> Why was this script changed? (Or was it not?)
>
> Is still a (non-trivial) haskell binary needed to compute the current
> directory for ./configure?
>
> Alternatively, if one does not want to make "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH ..."
> Bourne shell compatible, one should start the script with:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> or (as I've seen elsewhere) better (?)
>
> #!/usr/bin/env bash
>
> Cheers Christian
>
> Am 05.02.2014 23:43, schrieb Karel Gardas:
>>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> the bindist is compiled on Solaris 11.0 so probably of no use for you on
>> Solaris 10. Also I needed to provide separate tarball of compiled and
>> installed libgmp.so as the Solaris 11's provided does not satisfy GHC
>> requirements and GHC refuses to use that...
>>
>> Karel
>>
>> On 02/ 5/14 04:28 PM, Christian Maeder wrote:
>>> Hi, I was surprised to find a Solaris bindist. However, on our SunOS
>>> 5.10 ./configure failed miserably.
>>>
>>> -bash-3.2$ ./configure
>>> checking for path to top of build tree...
>>> utils/ghc-pwd/dist-install/build/tmp/ghc-pwd-bindist:
>>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=libraries/directory/dist-install/build:libraries/unix/dist-install/build:libraries/time/dist-install/build:libraries/old-locale/dist-install/build:libraries/filepath/dist-install/build:libraries/bytestring/dist-install/build:libraries/deepseq/dist-install/build:libraries/array/dist-install/build:libraries/base/dist-install/build:libraries/integer-gmp/dist-install/build:libraries/ghc-prim/dist-install/build:rts/dist/build:/opt/csw/lib:
>>>

>>> is not an identifier
>>> configure: error: cannot determine current directory
>>>
>>> This happens, because our /bin/sh is a "real" sh (and not a bash) that
>>> only allows to "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH" as a separate command.
>>>
>>> The next failure was:
>>> ld.so.1: ghc-pwd: fatal: libgmp.so.10: open failed: No such file or
>>> directory
>>>
>>> So I had to extend LD_LIBRARY_PATH manually (by /opt/csw/lib). After
>>> this I got:
>>> ld.so.1: ghc-pwd: fatal: relocation error: file
>>> libraries/unix/dist-install/build/libHSunix-2.7.0.0-ghc7.8.20140130.so:
>>> symbol clearenv: referenced symbol not found
>>>
>>> Which of my libraries is wrong (or too old) despite a matching version
>>> number?
>>> libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1
>>> libgmp.so.10 => /opt/csw/lib/libgmp.so.10
>>> libm.so.2 => /lib/libm.so.2
>>> librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1
>>> libc.so.1 => /lib/libc.so.1
>>> libgcc_s.so.1 => /opt/csw/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>>> libaio.so.1 => /lib/libaio.so.1