how to compile non-dynamic ghc-7.8.2 ?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 17:36:46 UTC 2014

On 25/04/2014 02:15, John Lato wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to compile ghc-7.8.2 with DynamicGhcPrograms disabled (on
> 64-bit linux).  I downloaded the source tarball, added
>
> DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS = NO
>
> to mk/build.mk <http://build.mk>, and did ./configure && ./make.
>
> ghc builds and everything seems to work (cabal installed a bunch of
> packages, ghci seems to work), however whenever I try to run Setup.hs
> dynamically (either 'runghc Setup.hs configure' or loading it with ghci
> and executing 'main') it dumps core.  Compiling Setup.hs works, and
> nothing else has caused ghci to crash either (this email is a literate
> haskell file equivalent to Setup.hs).
>
> Building with DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS = YES works properly.
>
> With that in mind, I have a few questions:
>
>   How should I compile a non-dynamic ghc?
>   Is this a bug in ghc?

I think you are running into this:

It took me a *long* time to track that one down.  I still don't know
what the root cause is, because I don't understand the system linker's
behaviour here.  Given that other people are running into this, we ought
to milestone it for 7.8.3 and do something about it.