Removing -fext-core

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Sun Apr 27 16:10:32 UTC 2014

+1 from me

I’ve been meaning to say essentially the same thing as you just did. We all seem to concentrate on *adding* things to GHC; it’s a bit refreshing to consider *removing* something.

Echoing Austin somewhat:

- Anyone using external core is either working with an old GHC or is kludging quite a bit, as it’s horribly rotten compared to “internal” core.

(For what it’s worth, I’m responsible for much of the rot. When I started working on Core, external core was just enough rotten already that I didn’t feel compelled to keep it up to date... but now it’s in a sorry state, indeed.)

- With the GHC API, the ability for plugins, and HERMIT[1], I think external core’s utility has been eclipsed.

- GHC actually contains a parser for external core, which is type-checked during compilation, but its functions are never actually called anywhere! This is a sure sign of Something Wrong.

Richard

[1]: http://www.ittc.ku.edu/csdl/fpg/software/hermit.html