RFC: changes to -i flag for finding source files

Henrik Nilsson Henrik.Nilsson at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Apr 26 11:18:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

 > I want to propose a simple change to the -i flag for finding source
 > files.  The problem we often have is that when you're writing code
 > for a library that lives deep in the module hierarchy, you end up
 > needing a deep directory structure, e.g.

+1 from me.

The deep file system hierarchies imposed by the assumption that
hierarchical module names need to be matched by a hierarchical
directory structure has always bothered me (well, since hierarchical
modules were introduced into Haskell some 15 years ago). In part
because I do find it inconvenient, even if navigation arguably is not
too hard, but more importantly because I think that language
naming conventions in general should be as decoupled as possible
from naming conventions of file systems/the mapping to how
source code happen to be stored and organised on any particular
system.

While I do acknowledge the pragmatical convenience of essentially
one-to-one mappings between module and file names, I think this
proposal would be a step in the right direction, if feasible.

Best,

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson
School of Computer Science
nhn at cs.nott.ac.uk

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.