RFC: changes to -i flag for finding source files

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Fri Apr 25 20:26:55 UTC 2014

On 25 Apr 2014, at 14:17, Simon Marlow wrote:

> The problem we often have is that when you're writing code for a library that lives deep in the module hierarchy, you end up needing a deep directory structure, where the top few layers are all empty.

I don't see how this is a problem at all.  Navigating the "vacuous" structure is as simple as pressing the tab key a few times.  But if you change the mapping convention between files and module names, you need to do it for all tools, not just the compiler.  I imagine all of the following tools would need to know about it:

cabal, hoogle, haddock, happy, alex, hat, hsc2hs

and probably a few more.  The feature seems like a very low power-to-weight ratio, so -1 from me.

Regards,
    Malcolm