RFC: changes to -i flag for finding source files

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Fri Apr 25 16:57:12 UTC 2014

* Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> [2014-04-25 11:22:46-0400]
> +1 from me. I have a lot of projects that suffer with 4 levels of vacuous
> subdirectories just for this.
>
> In theory cabal could support this on older GHC versions by copying all of the
> files to a working dir in dist with the expected layout on older GHCs.
>
> That would enable this to get much greater penetration more quickly.

I'd really not want that people start putting ghc-options: -isrc=...
into their cabal files. That'd make them irrecoverably ghc-specific, as no other
tool will know how to process the files unless it reads ghc-options.

I'm +1 on adding support for this to cabal. Then the mechanism cabal uses to
achieve this is just that — an implementation detail. And this new -i syntax can
become one of such mechanisms.

But cabal support should really come first, so that people aren't tempted by
ghc-specific solutions.

Roman