how to compile non-dynamic ghc-7.8.2 ?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 01:15:43 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'd like to compile ghc-7.8.2 with DynamicGhcPrograms disabled (on 64-bit
linux).  I downloaded the source tarball, added

DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS = NO

to mk/build.mk, and did ./configure && ./make.

ghc builds and everything seems to work (cabal installed a bunch of
packages, ghci seems to work), however whenever I try to run Setup.hs
dynamically (either 'runghc Setup.hs configure' or loading it with ghci and
executing 'main') it dumps core.  Compiling Setup.hs works, and nothing
else has caused ghci to crash either (this email is a literate haskell file
equivalent to Setup.hs).

Building with DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS = YES works properly.

With that in mind, I have a few questions:

 How should I compile a non-dynamic ghc?
 Is this a bug in ghc?

Thanks,
John L.