Concrete syntax for open type kind?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 16 21:35:44 UTC 2014

Does anyone remember the justification of not having unlifted or open kinds in the source language?
They aren’t in the source language because they are a gross hack, with many messy consequences. Particularly the necessary sub-kinding, and the impact on inference.  I’m not proud of it.

But I do have a plan. Namely to use polymorphism.  Currently we have
               kinds    k ::= * | # | ? | k1 -> k2 | ...

Instead I propose
               kinds   k ::= TYPE bx  | k1 -> k2 | ....
               boxity  bx ::= BOXED | UNBOXED | bv
where bv is a boxity variable

So

·        * = TYPE BOXED

·        # = TYPE UNBOXED

·        ? = TYPE bv
Now error is polymorphic:
               error :: forall bv. forall (a:TYPE bv). String -> a

And now everything will work out smoothly I think.  And it should be reasonably easy to expose in the source language.

All that said, there’s never enough time to do these things.

Simon