Concrete syntax for open type kind?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 16 00:09:06 UTC 2014

What version of the GHC code are you looking at? The parser is currently stored in compiler/parser/Parser.y.pp (note the pp) and doesn’t have these lines. As far as I know, there is no way to refer to OpenKind from source.

You’re absolutely right about the type of `undefined`. `undefined` (and `error`) have magical types. GHC knows that GHC.Err defines an `undefined` symbol and gives it its type by fiat. There is no way (I believe) to reproduce this behavior.

If you have -fprint-explicit-foralls and -fprint-explicit-kinds enabled, quantified variables of kind * are not given kinds in the output. So, the lack of a kind annotation tells you that `a`’s kind is *. Any other kind (assuming these flags) would be printed.

I hope this helps!
Richard