-optl behavior in ghc-7.8.1

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 14:42:49 UTC 2014

On 10/04/2014 18:11, Yuras Shumovich wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 18:49 +0200, Karel Gardas wrote:
>> On 04/10/14 06:39 PM, Yuras Shumovich wrote:
>>> ...and other linker options must come after, like in my case. So what?
>>> Are there any ticket where people complain about the old behavior? I'm
>>> not advocating any specific behavior, I'm just asking why it was
>>> changed.
>>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm the patch provider, but at least I provided
>> patch which was merged into HEAD (don't have 7.8 branch here so check
>> yourself) which fixes linking of binaries failure on Solaris. Please see
>> b9b94ec82d9125da47c619c69e626120b3e60457
>>
>> The core of the change is:
>>
>> -            else package_hs_libs ++ extra_libs ++ other_flags
>> +            else other_flags ++ package_hs_libs ++ extra_libs
>
> Thank you for pointing to the commit. I hoped it was incidental change,
> but now I see the reason.

Actually this was me:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/changeset/1e2b3780ebc40d28cd0f029b90df102df09e6827/ghc

The problem I was fixing was that we weren't always passing the -optl
options.  Now when we invoke a program the -optXXX options always come
first - I think before it was kind of random and different for each of
the phases.