Buildbots

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Apr 1 10:46:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 01.04.2014, 10:25 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones:
> Joachim Breitner has set up Travis-CI.  (I don't know exactly what
> that is, but it sounds useful.)

Travis is a free cloud service that runs arbitrary tests (in our case, a
stripped version of validate) upon pushes to git repositories on github.
I set it up to validate our master, so we get a nice history of
successes and failures on
https://travis-ci.org/nomeata/ghc-complete/builds
and I get mails when things fail; that is when I send hopefully polite
enough mails to ghc-dev, asking people to fix their commits.

(Unless I broke it myself; then I silently fix it and hide.)

It is a makeshift solution until we get our own infrastructure working.

> An early question would be: to continue to use a DIY system (Builder),
> or to move to some other better-supported (but perhaps less malleable)
> system.  I don't even know what the options are.

Sigh, test infrastructure are like content management systems: There are
plenty out there to choose from, all can do lots of things one does not
need, but none can do all, so one starts writing something selfmade,
which eventually evolves in yet another of these beasts, just with fewer
users.

I’d recommend a move to existing, proven tools. Unfortunately, I cannot
give advice as to what tool to move to. But if all these¹ projects are
happy with buildbot, it might not be the worst choice.

¹ http://trac.buildbot.net/wiki/SuccessStories

Greetings,
Joachim
--