7.8 Release Update
simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 9 17:44:34 CEST 2013
Yes I will try to review it this week. (This is the first time I've had access to the code.)
| -----Original Message-----
| From: Austin Seipp [mailto:aseipp at pobox.com]
| Sent: 09 September 2013 16:25
| To: Trevor Elliott
| Cc: Austin Seipp; ghc-devs at haskell.org; glasgow-haskell-
| users at haskell.org; Simon Peyton-Jones
| Subject: Re: 7.8 Release Update
| Excellent. Simon, are you privvy to this work at all? We lightly
| talked about it last week, but I'm not sure if you've reviewed it. Or
| perhaps Pedro or someone else could if we have time (I seem to
| remember he drew up the initial design points.)
| On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Trevor Elliott <trevor at galois.com>
| > Hi Austin,
| > Iavor and I have got the data kinds syntax changes up to date with
| > on the data-kind-syntax branch. The -XDataKinds section of the manual
| > been updated to describe the new syntax. During a validate run, there
| > some problems building haddock, so I'm going to look into that
| > There are tests for the data kind syntax in the test suite, currently
| on the
| > data-kind-syntax branch.
| > Other than the haddock fix, I think that we're ready to go.
| > Thanks!
| > --trevor
| > On Sun 08 Sep 2013 04:27:33 PM PDT, Austin Seipp wrote:
| >> Friends,
| >> After talking with SPJ, we've decided that the cutoff date for the
| >> feature window will essentially start on Monday, the 16th. This is
| >> beginning of the week before ICFP. This is a week from tomorrow.
| >> Afterwords, I suspect we will cut the 7.8 branch in early October (my
| >> notes tentatively say Oct. 9th.) This will give us a few weeks of
| >> straight bugfixing.
| >> Don't let this scare you too much. We're doing this at the beginning
| >> of the week so we have time to sort things out. Bug fixes will of
| >> course continuously be welcome until the 7.8 branch.
| >> However, for pending features, I'd like a status update. Everyone
| >> mentioned below, please reply to clarify anything:
| >> * Iavor Diatchki and SPJ are working together on the type-nats-
| >> branch. I believe this will hopefully land in time. Iavor, SPJ - can
| >> you comment here?
| >> * Trevor and Iavor are also working on kinds without data. Any word
| >> here?
| >> * Geoffrey is currently moving, but he says the SIMD work and new
| >> template-haskell work will land by the end of this week, which is
| >> great.
| >> * Patrick Palka has a few loose ends to tie off for the parallel
| >> compilation driver. I talked to him today, and after Andreas
| >> his bugfix to base, I believe everything is now working, with the
| >> deadlocks sorted out. Patrick, can you confirm? We can get this
| >> ASAP if so.
| >> * Pedro and Richard - what's the story on propositional equality,
| >> etc? This is mentioned on the status page but I'm not sure what
| >> else needs to be done. I know Pedro committed the work to make manual
| >> Typeable instances an error, which is great.
| >> * Luite and Edsko will be talking about some final changes to the
| >> hooks patch, and afterwords it can hopefully be integrated. I'll keep
| >> up with them this week.
| >> * I am currently working on integrating the Applicative-Monad
| >> warning, but this requires some upstream patches for the build to
| >> work. However, we still need to sync several upstream libraries, and
| >> this will be happening over the next few weeks. Therefore, I may
| >> commit it, and incrementally fix validation errors as time goes on
| >> me and Herbert sync upstreams.
| >> IMO, most of these look to be in good shape, I think.
| >> If you *do not think you'll make it by the 16th*, please let me know.
| >> We can possibly still land it the week of the 16th, provided I know
| >> ASAP. But we really really need to know, because many people will be
| >> gone the following week.
| >> In the following few days, I'm hoping going to finish off everything
| >> can in the patch queue, and fix my remaining bugs, and investigate
| >> Dynamic GHCi in particular.
| >> Again, if you don't think you can make it on the 16th, but still
| >> within the week, we can of discuss it.
| Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671
More information about the Glasgow-haskell-users