default roles

Richard Eisenberg eir
Tue Oct 8 15:02:17 UTC 2013

Perhaps I can spot the source of the confusion: there seem to be 2 different conversations going on here!

1: How to fit roles in with the ability to declare a datatype to be abstract. Should a library author be required to use a role annotation to make an abstract datatype, or should a library author be required to use a role annotation to allow GND with a datatype?

2: Some form of role abstraction, where an argument to a type parameter might get a representational role, depending on the role of some other variable. Using typeclasses is the current proposal for how to do this, and it in migmit's email below. Pedro also suggests a type families approach.

My initial email was seeking advice on issue #1.

As for #2: Using typeclasses here might be a decent surface syntax for the feature of role abstraction, but the automatic generation of instances, etc., would seem to require deep and pervasive magic under the hood. Essentially, every type and type variable would need to be annotated with both a kind and a role, significantly complicating GHC's type system. The question would be whether or not this upfront and ongoing investment is worth it.

Thanks,
Richard