Adding new library dependencies to GHC

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 02:35:02 UTC 2013

Hey Alex,
very very cool!

a few thoughts: ghc stage1 has no GHCI, and thus can't build / use a lib
that has template haskell.
LLVM-General uses template haskell pretty heavily to generate the FFI code!

see
https://github.com/bscarlet/llvm-general/blob/master/llvm-general/src/LLVM/General/Internal/FFI/Builder.hs#L66
example and
https://github.com/bscarlet/llvm-general/blob/master/llvm-general/src/LLVM/General/Internal/FFI/Constant.hs#L89

for another

so your choices are: figure out how to support TH in stage 1 ghc, OR use
llvm-general-pure, and cope with just having llvm pretty printing and
parsing.  Alternatively, you could treat the "llvm-general" way as being an
alternative to the -fasm and -fllvm backends, and have it only be built /
supported in the stage2 backend.

point being: start with getting -flllvm working just using llvm-general-pure
then once you've got that working, having an llvm alternative that can ghc
can enable in stage2 (when ghci/th is a thing) can be made to work.

either way, very cool! it gives a path towards bundling llvm with ghc, or
at least is a decent experiment towards that.

one thing you may want to consider is how to remove the TH deps from llvm
general. This would make it possible use it in stage1 GHC, which would make
it much more likely to be actually merged into GHC proper.

again, props for getting this experimentation started!
-Carter