Module import and use in GHC plugin?

Conal Elliott conal at
Wed May 29 23:37:40 CEST 2013

In writing GHC plugins, how can I (a) add a module import (preferably
qualified) and (b) make vars/ids for names imported from the newly imported
module (to insert in the transformed Core code)?

If it's not possible to do what I want, I'd be willing to require an
explicit import (say "import qualified Foo") in client code, as a temporary
So far I've been unable to import even from the base package. Maybe I'm
missing something basic that you folks have learned.

My simple & unsuccessful attempt is at . Help greatly appreciated.

  - Conal