Release plans

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 20:55:29 CET 2013

Hello,

I think that there are a lot of useful features that are in HEAD that would
be useful to a wider audience than GHC devs, so a release before October
would certainly be useful.  I don't think it is that important if it is
called 7.7.1 or 7.8.1 but I think that it needs to be a fixed version, in
the sense that all code (including GHC libraries) is tagged in the repos
and, possibly, we make an entry for it in the track system, so that people
can record bugs against it.

Given that GHC is very actively developed, it might make sense to have one
of these "snapshot" releases every 3 or so months, as "technology preview",
and without any promises about stability or compatibility (in particular,
they should not be considered for inclusion in the HP or standard Linux
distributions).   This would give us a fairly low over-head middle ground
between the volatility of nightly builds, and the long
time between official releases.

-Iavor