base package -- goals

Joachim Breitner mail at
Thu Mar 7 21:22:02 CET 2013

Am Dienstag, den 26.02.2013, 10:08 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton-Jones:
> I think it would be vv helpful to have all these goals articulated on
> the wiki page.

well, all the goals are there (or are they not sufficiently well

I also tried to compare the two approaches – the re-exporting
API-specifying packages and the actual split of base – by listing their
advantages (I skipped the disadvantages, these would just be the
negation of the other advantages list...) at

I don’t feel in the position to actually make a call here, or even to
cast a vote with confidence, but I’m happy to continue summarizing the
discussion until a consensus is found. If there is more discussion, that

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata at | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Keyid: 4743206C
  JID: nomeata at |