Repeated variables in type family instances - UndecidableInstances

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 24 11:14:01 CEST 2013

In an attempt to dredge out the mud from these waters, I have updated the
wiki page at
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/NewAxioms
to have the correct details about the current implementation (which has been
merged with HEAD).

A few salient points:
* Open (normal, old-fashioned) type families are essentially unchanged. In
particular, coincident overlap and non-linear patterns *are* allowed.
* The overlap check between open type family instances now does a
unification without an "occurs check" to mark (x, x) and ([y], y) as
overlapping, as necessary for type soundness.
* Coincident overlap within closed families works just fine, the way you
might expect. In particular, in both the theory and the implementation, any
set of type instances you could write in an open family can be combined in a
closed family, and they will behave in exactly the same way. This is a
marked improvement over the last implementation.

As for AntC's finer-grained UndecidableInstances: I think that would be
great, too. In general, I'm of the opinion that the brutal termination
checker could use some improvements. But, there's little incentive to do so,
with the ease of just saying UndecidableInstances. Even then, though, some
reasonable type-level computations really don't terminate in all cases
(division) and these still have a role to play.

Richard

PS: Sorry to those of you who have used "type instance where" and now find
that your code doesn't compile. We (Simon, Dimitrios, and I) put a good deal
of thought into the original design. But, we really liked the new one more.
Given that the feature never made it into a released GHC, we thought it was
OK to make this breaking change before it became impossible. Note that you
can simulate the openness of "type instance where" by using an open family
with closed family helpers.