Repeated variables in type family instances

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Sat Jun 22 18:57:13 CEST 2013

Ah -- I think the waters have been muddied somewhat as our thoughts have evolved. The plan of action (of history, at this point -- I merged into HEAD yesterday) is to use the check labeled (B) on the wiki page. This check does *not* ban all nonlinear type families. It just makes certain combinations of standalone instances conflict. Equations in closed type families (the new name for "branched instances", which I'm trying to avoid saying) do not have any of these restrictions.

And, many thanks for pointing out your contribution to that discussion page. I met with Simon PJ and Dimitrios V last summer to discuss this feature, and we went through the possibilities and settled on "type instance where". We're all now busy writing up a paper on the design and type safety ramifications, and we switched gears to "type family … where" because it made for a more consistent feature, in our eyes. I'm really happy with where this ended up, so thanks for making the suggestion originally!

Richard