Re-entrant TcRnIf

p.k.f.holzenspies at utwente.nl p.k.f.holzenspies at utwente.nl
Tue Jun 11 11:55:15 CEST 2013

Dear GHC-ers,

The current API *seems* to assume that all different stages of the compiler pipeline are always passed successively (with the exception of the interleaving of the renamer and the type checker for the sake of Template Haskell), in other words, it is assumed all parsing has been done once we start renaming and that when we desugar the AST, we can through out all type checker state. I'm working on an interactive environment (different in many ways from ghci), in which I would like to incrementally parse a statement, rename it and type check it, after which I may chose to wash, rinse and repeat.

This is somewhat problematic in the renamer (at least; this is how far I have come), at the very least with regards to the unique source and the provenance of things. What I'm hoping to do is to generalize the monads in the GHC API to some class, along these lines:

class Generalizes m n where
  glift :: n a -> m a
class (GhcMonad m, Generalizes m TcRnIf, Generalizes m CoreM, ...) => GHCAPI m

What such a monad needs is to be able to evaluate some function in (for example) the renamer monad, extract the part of the renamer state that needs to persist and store that for whenever another renamer function is evaluated. One such thing would be the supply of unique names.

I tried simply carrying over everything in the Env, except the env_top (HscEnv), but this broke things. Upon inspection of the TcGblEnv and TcLclEnv, this seems logical, considering they are dependent on the HscEnv (at least in terms of tcg_type_env_var, but there may be other dependencies I've not spotted). The thing that seems to bite me is the assumption that the top-level environment is assumed to be fixed [1]. In my scenario, this assumption does not hold.

Concretely:

1) Do ways exist to carry over the part of the TcRnMonad state that is required to restart the renamer / type checker / etc later on?
2) If not, what parts of the Env, TcGblEnv and TcLclEnv should I copy over to the new state, assuming the HscEnv changed between consecutive runs?
3) Is there a particular reason why the front-end (of the front-end) is defined in an overloaded monad (GhcMonad) and the later bits all take concrete monads (TcRnIf etc.)?

Regards,
Philip

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/Compiler/TcRnMonad